Monday 25 March 2013

Safari



After our climb we had a 5 day safari. I'm wont do a day by day blog for that, but I'll give you a brief recap. The safari was such an amazing experience, we saw so many animals, including the big 5! We stayed in a hotel the first night, then the second and third nights we were in a tented camp in the middle of the Serengeti. The tents were canvas, and big enough for our king sized bed, shower, and bathroom. But it was a tent, in the Serengeti, so you could hear everything! Before bed you would hear lions in the distance, and hyena's laughing hysterically just outside your tent. Like what's so funny? Of course Dan slept like a baby and didn't hear anything, every sound I heard would make me sit right up. I was so paranoid that if I made any noise it would attract the animals to our tent.

There was even a time when the hyena's were laughing (hahahaheeheehee) and then there was a bang into the side of our tent, I'm telling you it was a hyena but there were no other witnesses, so of course no one believes me. It was quite an experience, the second night in the tent we heard lions going crazy outside and found out the next morning that it was a pride of 30 enjoying a kill, just down the road from us.

Another guy staying at the camp peaked out his window during the night to see an elephant just hanging out in our camp! But they told us not to worry as they had security...a guy with a flashlight! Needless to say, I didn't sleep that great those nights. One day during the safari, we saw a pride of 9 lions attack a wildebeest for lunch, we watched that in amazement for over an hour. Also saw a family of about 45 ostrich. Did you know that ostrich can have up to 50 eggs at a time? Crazy! At one of our stops, two monkeys got into our truck (we were out, don't worry), they almost stole our boxed lunches...which would have been ok. By the end of the safari we had seen all there was to see, and took a whole lot of pictures. Our vacation was definitely a trip of a lifetime. One that I will never forget!

2 comments:

  1. I read every post Monica - what an adventure! I'm so proud of you! I just have one question - where are you going on your cruise?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking the time to write about your trip. Great photos (even the peeing giraffe) and I could feel my toes jammed into the end of my shoes and hear the distant roar of the lions while reading along.

    Blog about the cruise, too!

    ReplyDelete