Tuesday 19 March 2013

Day 6

I can't believe it's day 6, the night we go to the summit! But before that happens we had a good hike this morning, over a lot of rocks. Which means you keep your head down to avoid tripping. It took us just over 3 hours to get to our camp- the highest we'll sleep at 4641m.

Our highest camp
We all have headaches now, hoping a little motrin will do the trick. We had some macaroni for lunch, and now have the afternoon to rest and prepare for tonight. We'll probably have an early supper as they want us up by 10:30 to get ready to leave by midnight. Now, since I had a slow/weak start, the guides always made me be at the front of the group, which got old, real fast. After a break I would try to linger, and fall into place behind someone else, but without fail Basil, or Shabaz would always say 'Monica (pronounced Mooneeka) to the front', or 'Mooneeka, behind Basil please'.
Lots of rocks
Argh! I hated being up front, but that was my calling, to be the leader. But, ever since taking the extra diomox, I've been feeling a lot better, and have gotten used to not being able to breath. It's very weird to completely loose your breath just walking to the bathroom, or should I say the bucket in a tent. Or to get completely winded just by packing up your bag. It's a very odd feeling, but something I can handle now. However tonight will be the true test as we hike up to our highest point at 5895m or 19,341ft. I'm actually excited right now, most nights I go to bed nervous about what lays ahead, but now I just want to get up there already! I'll be patient for a least a few more hours, and get some sleep before we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment